Water conservation rebates are available for irrigation controllers, and the replacement, repair or audit of an irrigation system.
Benefits of Installing Controllers
Smart controllers and rain sensors are devices installed as part of automatic sprinkler systems to avoid excess watering. They monitor rainfall and/or soil moisture and prevent automatic sprinkler systems from irrigating during rainy or wet periods. As the soil dries, the controller will allow normal watering to start again. This prevents unnecessary irrigation and facilitates water conservation.
Save Money — water conserved from the sensor can pay for itself over time
Extends Sprinkler System Lifespan — less usage of sprinklers equals longer lifespan
Water Conservation — less water is wasted in watering lawns and gardens
Save Energy — less water means less energy needed to distribute it
The rebate program reimburses Eden Prairie utility customers in amounts that vary with the type of purchase.
- Installation or replacement of a smart controller or rain sensor with a WaterSense-labeled model qualifies for reimbursement of 50 percent of the pre-tax purchase price (up to $200) of each smart controller and/or sensor.
- Replacement of an irrigation system (minimum purchase of $1,500) with a new system that includes a WaterSense-labeled controller and/or rain sensor qualifies for reimbursement of up to 100 percent of the pre-tax purchase price of each controller and/or sensor.
- Replacement or addition of an alternative stormwater reuse system to an existing irrigation system may qualify for reimbursement of 50 percent of the cost, up to a maximum of $500.
- Audits conducted by WaterSense-certified contractors that result in the replacement of smart controllers or rain sensors with WaterSense-labeled products may qualify for a rebate of 100 percent of the audit cost, up to a maximum of $500.
- System improvements recommended by WaterSense-certified contractors may qualify for additional funding and are considered on a case-by-case basis by the City's environmental coordinator. Requests must be submitted for consideration prior to purchase or installation.
Rebate requests for an audit or alternative stormwater management system must be preapproved in writing by the City's environmental coordinator prior to purchase and installation.
- Rebates are only available to Eden Prairie utility customers with non-delinquent accounts.
- The system must follow the City’s odd/even and no-noon-to-5 p.m. watering requirements, even with a sensor.
- Each controller or sensor must be a WaterSense-labeled product. Documentation of qualification must be provided with the application.
- Copies of an itemized invoice or sales receipt documenting the make and model of sensor must be provided with the application.
- Failure to provide the required documentation and application form may result in disqualification.
- The City reserves the right to inspect the irrigation system for proper installation.
- The City is not responsible for sensor performance or water savings; no warranty or guarantee is provided.
- The City has the right to discontinue or amend the rebate program at any time.
- Funds are limited and are available on a first-come first-served basis.
Contact the City's environmental coordinator with questions regarding the City's water conservation rebate programs.